Saturday, November 29, 2008

One Sick Thanksgiving...

And when I use the word "sick," I'm not using it in the "totally hip, cool teenager" way. No, when I use "sick," I mean it literally. Here's a glimpse into what the Swenson life has been like lately....


Beginning of November... After months of debating, we decide to head up to Vancouver, WA and visit Greg's brother and his family for Thanksgiving. We hadn't been up there in almost 6 years and thought it would be fun, so we were really excited.

2 weeks later... Gavin comes down with a cold. Nothing too horrible - he only misses a day of school, and seems to be back on his feet.

2 days later... Tyler comes down with what appears to be croup.

1 day later... Tyler starts throwing up.

1 day later... Tyler still throwing up.

2 days later... Ty has finally stopped throwing up, but still has a cold and now Mom has the yucky cold (her first in over 4 years, no kidding!).

1 day later (3 days before Thanksgiving)... We begrudgingly cancel our trip to Washington. It's very disappointing, but with the way Ty and Mom are feeling, 12 hours of driving in the car seems like "you know where" on earth.

1 day later... It's a good thing we cancelled, because now Gavin is throwing up!

2 days later (Thanksgiving)... Mom still feels miserable, but Gavin has stopped throwing up so we pack up the car and head up to Greg's parent's house (who so kindly let us come to dinner with only 3 days notice). Dinner is fabulous - in fact, I would even use the "totally hip, cool teenager" usage of "sick" to describe it! However, things take yet another bad turn when, while asleep in Grandma and Grandpa's bed, Gavin throws up again. Oh, and again...

1 day later... Gavin is fine all day, everybody thinks he's better until.... yep, you guessed it, he throws up AGAIN!

And today... Well, everybody seems to be okay for now, with only an occassional cough and sniffle from Mom. We can only pray that this means we are on an upward swing, but who knows?! We've thought that at least two times in the past two weeks...

Well, we hope you all had a happy (and healthy) Turkey Day (although I do feel a twinge of bitterness towards all of you who did!), and hopefully our next post will be all about how wonderful it is feel well again! :) -Ash

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad everyone is on the mend! Love Poppy

Stacey said...

There is nothing worse than being sick during the holidays!! Maybe even hitting a dear : ) Hope you all are feeling better!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! That is horrible! Do you remember Christmas Eve of last year? I got the stomach flu and felt like crap all day long! I was so sad that I couldn't eat all that yummy Christmas food. :( Hopefully, your immunities will be built up so that you will all be well for Christmas!

Mallory said...

Yucky! How miserable. Hopefully it's gone now, before birthdays, Christmas, and anniversaries right? oh, by the way your house looks awesome!! Hope you're all feeling better

Emily said...

Yuck, that's no fun - I'm sorry! :(

Tara said...

We were sick the whole month of November so I feel for you. I am ready for healthy kids. Hopefully everyone is 100% now.

Melany said...

aw that stinks! well at least you had a good back-up with your in-laws. and i love your early christmas decorating - i try to convince paul to let me do it early every year and he's so stubborn! this year we did it the day after thanksgiving so i'm wearing him down. :)