Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Next Beethoven? Or Maybe Just an Annoyance!

For the past 4 years, my parents have asked me to play the piano at their work Christmas party. I always say yes because I love having an excuse to play, plus the extra money at Christmas time never hurts! Well when they asked me again this year, I decided that maybe it was time I got some new Christmas music. I've played out of the same 4 books the past 4 years, and didn't want people thinking, "Wow, doesn't she know any other songs?" :) So yesterday, I went and bought some new music, only to find that it's going to need more practice than I typically have time for (seriously, do any of you pianists understand Jim Brickman's obsession with syncopation?! It's driving me NUTS!). I knew I better start practicing soon, so once Greg got home last night, I sat down to play (hoping he could handle the kids for a while). However, I wasn't very successful. Here's why...




This seriously happens everytime I sit down to practice. The second my fingers hit the keys, I hear the pitter patter of little feet running to my side, where Ty then proceeds to climb up on the bench and start his own rendition of whatever song I'm playing. While I love this little guy to pieces and have no problem with his interest in the piano, he does make it hard to play anything! (The only reason I'm able to teach is because he naps during my lessons!) So Mom and Dad, I will try my hardest to have these new songs ready by December, but if they're not, you'll know who to blame...


Ty! Either the world's next Beethoven prodigy, or the world's greatest annoyance to his mother! -Ash

11 comments:

Emily said...

Hehehe - silly boy!

Kyla Stevens said...

don't worry about not being ready. Ty will help you with those syncopations..



You'll do great.

Marky said...

That is so great you can play the piano, I so wish that I could!! Ty I think you could be the next beethoven for sure, your so cute!

Unknown said...

Why is is that kids can sense as soon as their mom sits down for "Me" time. Good luck getting your practice in.

Lindsay and Mike said...

I totally hate syncopation!!! And, I would probably hate it even more if I even knew what it was! 10 years of lessons & nothing to show for it...yeah bay-bee!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Ty will be playing at our work Christmas Party in 15 years! Love Poppy

Kristin and Dan said...

Yes yes, stupid syncopation!

If only any of us actually knew what that was....

~heidi said...

Hahaha...been there done that, but different instrument. I am sure that you will do a great job - you always do.
It is funny that kids seem to know when you want or need time to yourself - they are right there, helping you out. Silly kids!

Rachel Seren said...

That's cute. What is the new christmas music you found? I am always up for something new. I am like you and have played the same ones since high school.

Jen said...

So cute!!! It is so hard when you are trying to get something done and kids are right there in your face wanting to do it with you. Although, you will love those pics forever!!!

Mallory said...

That is funny. I would suggest buying Ty a toy piano but somehow kids know the difference, and they want the real thing. Good Luck!