Friday, February 1, 2008

My Love/Hate Relationship with Snow Plows...

Normally, I love snow plows in the winter. If I am driving in bad weather and am near one, I will drive behind it just so I don't have to deal with the snow. This winter, however, has been an exception. I'm getting the feeling that snow plows have something against me... Really! Our first bad incident happened back in December when we were heading down to my friends' Christmas party in Orem and got stuck behind 4 snow plows (one in every lane) going 5 mph! I am NOT exaggerating! (Needless to say, we were 1 1/2 hours late...)

Well, this morning I woke up to yet another 6 inches of snow on the driveway. In fact, the mounds of snow on the sides of our driveway are so high now, I'm having a hard time throwing snow up onto them! So I got on all my lovely winter gear and trudged out in the snow for the 2nd time in 3 days. I got 3/4 of the way down the driveway to the entrance part - which I always dread because that is where all the heavy, wet snow from the snow plows is - when I hit a chunk of ice. And trust me, this wasn't just any chunk of ice, which I realized as I cleared it of all the snow. It was about 6 inches deep and 4 feet wide (there are pictures at the bottom)! I then realized that there was another huge ball of ice right next to it, at least 12 inches in diameter, and neither of those were there yesterday. I would have noticed! :) The snow plows (that are secretly against me, of course) pushed them in there! But what can you do? So I started chipping at it with my shovel, but it wouldn't budge. I was so frustrated because I didn't have a clue how we would get in or out of our driveway with it there. Even in my Envoy, I probably would have scraped my muffler on it. So instead, I decided to take pictures of it for the blog! :) Hey, when you're given lemons, make lemonade, right? Fortunately, my cute 65-year-old neighbor and his son saw me and realized I needed help, so they came over and had it broken up and gone in 5 minutes! :) Apparently, holding kids isn't giving my biceps a good enough workout...

Unfortunately, I don't think my snow plow woes are over yet since there are 3 more snowstorms in the 7-day forecast! And with the luck we've had lately, I'm sure something is bound to happen! But I guess we'll see... :) -Ash






Here is the lovely chunk of ice (I didn't take a picture of the ball-shaped one). This picture probably doesn't even do it justice for how big it was.



Here's another view of it, with our huge mounds of snow on the side. They are probably over 4 feet tall now!

5 comments:

Shel said...

I wanted to tell you how cute your new background is! Where do you find them? I heard that maddy kay and shabby tulips were both shut down. I can't find anything that I really like so we are just using a blogger template for now.

Rachel Seren said...

I love the change to your blog! Where did you get the template? That is crazy about all the snow.

Tara said...

Winter needs to go away. Maybe you should talk to that lady you know and see if she can do anything about this weather!

Anonymous said...

I can image two little faces peering out of the living room window thinking, "What a cool chunk of ice!" Fun blog Sosh. Love Poppy

Kyla Stevens said...

Oh Ash I am so sorry about the ice chunks. Although, I am impressed that you shovel your wide driveway. I refuse to do it anymore. Lets pray that the snow will stop. I'd rather have rain the rest of the year.