Usually, I don't mind the winter too much and I hate the summer. I know, I know, I'm crazy. I just hate the summer because I am always so hot and can never seem to cool down. But this year, I am beyond ready for summer! These every-other-day snowstorms are getting really old. It's gotten to the point where I just don't even watch the weather anymore because it's just too depressing. I've been feeling this way for a couple of weeks now, but our experience last night only magnified my bitterness about this winter...
Greg had yesterday off, so we decided to head up to his parents' house in Idaho to celebrate his dad's birthday. We had a good time visiting with his family, but when a snowstorm blew in around 6:00, we decided it was definitely time to head out. And trust me, when I say this storm "blew in," I really mean it! For those of you who have ever been to Southern Idaho, you probably know that the wind blows there about 90% of the time (at least that's what my experience tells me). This can mean treacherous road conditions when it starts snowing, and last night, the wind was howling. I-84 had been closed off and on all day because of blowing snow and low visibility, so of course, it closed down again when this storm came through. We knew we had to get home because Greg had open his store this morning at 7:00, so we headed to Pocatello to take I-15, knowing it would take an extra hour to get home but feeling like we had no other choice. Fortunately, we drove out of and away from the storm on our way there. But our luck didn't last long... We got to the southern part of Pocatello only to be greeted by a construction sign saying, "I-15 Closed. Exit Now." So there we were, with no way to get out of Idaho, and I was a happy camper, let me tell you. :) Luckily, Greg's brother Jeff and his family live in Chubbuck (just north of Pocatello) and offered their little girls' room to us for the night. We were really grateful for that, considering the cheapest hotel room we found was $110. Greg was also able to find another employee to open the store, which was a huge help.
Fortunately, we were able to leave this morning at 8:00, and the freeway was open again. And as much as I hated not being able to get home last night, I'm glad we weren't on the roads then because even this morning, they were a sheet of ice in a lot of places. I know I should be grateful for all the snow we've gotten because it helps out our water supply a ton, but can't it just slow down a little?! It seems like everytime we have plans to go somewhere, the weather is horrible. Of course, now there's also the fear of where all this snow is going to go when it starts to melt tomorrow. It better not be in my basement! Oh well, at least it's February and spring is coming. Yay! (I will just try to remember that through this next batch of snowstorms coming in next week...) :) -Ash
Friday, February 8, 2008
SO Sick of the Snow!
Posted by
The Swensons
at
2:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
The road bikers all agree with you...this winter and all the snow is for the birds. Glad you make it back safe and that you saved $110! Love Poppy
Hey guys, Greg, I deleted my text inbox right after you had sent your new number so i did not save it yet. Drop me another line. How are things going for ya'll? Busy down here with some new leads...I miss the snow but not so much hearing all the storm stories lately. Josh
What? You don't like to watch the weather anymore??? I am totally offended!!! But, I do agree with you about the snow! It's been out of control!
What a crazy drive! I remember what those snow storms can be like! Glad you had family close.
AHHH! That's crazy. One day you'll be able to laugh about it :) we've probably had less snow all year than what you guys get in a single snow storm..and I'm sick of the snow. I feel for ya. Mallory
p.s. our blog is back up
Ashlee,
Hey, I found your blog through Jen Paxman's. Your boys are super cute! Sorry about all the snow, but you guys can keep it. I don't want it coming here (New Jersey)! I would love to stay in touch with you. Our blog is jsherwood.blogspot.com!
Amanda (Larsen) Sherwood
Post a Comment