Thursday, February 21, 2008

Reality Check?

Around 8:15 this morning, I woke up from the half-sleep I was in to my phone ringing obnoxiously in my ears. I knew it was getting late and Ty had been talking in his crib for about an hour, but I was just not ready to get up. So when I answered Greg's call, I am sure I sounded anything but happy (even though his day starts at 5:30 every morning!). The first words out of his mouth were, "Did you feel the earthquake this morning?" My heart about skipped a beat as I jumped out of bed because I am so deathly afraid of earthquakes (or any other natural disaster for that matter). As I thought back in my mind over the past hour when I had been lying there half awake/half asleep, I realized that I had felt it but had brushed it off as a consequence of buying a house way too close to major railroad tracks. Granted, I had never felt a train shake our house like that before, but you never know... While I was relieved to hear that the epicenter wasn't even in Utah - it was near Wells, NV - I was still a nervous wreck about it. My first screaming thought was, "Get earthquake insurance TODAY!" :) Greg and I have been talking about getting this for the past year, yet we have just always procrastinated doing it and I have no idea why. So the next thing I knew, I was calling Lindsay to ask her about their policy, and immediately after that, I had Greg calling our insurance company to get it set up. Our policy price doubled, but to me, it's worth it just for the peace of mind. Unfortunately, it doesn't kick in for 30 days so please pray with me for no earthquakes until at least March 21! :)

As the day has gone on though, I still find myself worrying about the possibility of one happening here, earthquake insurance or not. It got me thinking that we don't have 72-hour kits, our food storage is about 10 months shy of where it should be, and we don't have an emergency family plan. So, as thrilled as Greg and Gavin are going to be about this, I decided that for the next month we are going over all of this in Family Home Evening, and doing as much as we can to get prepared. It's been quite the reality check for us, and I think it's finally time we do something. And even though I will still be terrified of earthquakes, at least I will know we're prepared. -Ash

5 comments:

Kyla Stevens said...

that is crazy. I didn't even feel it. Hey how did you get your music to start with a different song every time you click on the page?

Rachel Seren said...

Wow, I hadn't heard anything about it! I am with you on the be prepared thing, we are entering tornado season down here and have already had tornado warnings come across the TV screan.

Lindsay and Mike said...

Yay for earthquakes...as long as they aren't too big and the epicenter is hundreds of miles away! It was fun to finally feel what an earthquake is kind of like...and, like you said, it's definately a wake up call for the rest of us!

Sherwoods said...

Wow, I am very impressed. That sucks that you felt the earthquake, but way to turn it into a positive! I just put together a family information binder and I feel SO much more prepared (in reality I am not). It has a tab for all of your important documents and everything you would need in an emergency. There is a tab for birth certificates, insurance info, social security cards, passports, bank info...etc. If you want, I can email you all of the pages and a picture of what it looks like. If not, ignore my ramblings here and good luck with your preparedness month!

Anonymous said...

And you slept through it? I bet it woke up Ty...I hear dogs and cats will act weird just before an earthquake. Love Poppy