Monday, January 28, 2008

In Memory of President Hinckley

For those of you who have read my sister Lindsay's blog, I completely agree with her that even though it was bound to happen, I never thought Pres. Hinckley would pass away. (At least not within the next few years.) We were at Lindsay's house for dinner when we found out, and I think we were all in complete shock. I think I would have believed it more if the news channels had talked about him being in the hospital or that he hadn't been feeling well (like they have in the past), but they hadn't said anything like that, so it really was a shock and didn't feel real. Once we got home though and we turned on the news, reality hit. I just started bawling. Like everybody else has said, he is the main prophet I remember so it is hard to see him go.


Even though I never met President Hinckley, I had the chance to listen to him countless times, many of which were in person at the conference center. Even though I was never close to him, I could always feel his spirit and the great love he had for our entire church. I think back on his 13 years as the prophet and am amazed at just how much he accomplished: The Proclamation on the Family, the 6 B's, the most temples built under any prophet, and the list goes on... My most vivid memories of hearing him are from when I was a struggling teenager, and his testimony always strengthened mine. While I'm sure we have great prophets still to come, President Hinckley will always have a special place in my heart, and I'm so grateful for the love and service he always showed to not only members of this church, but everybody. Last night, my family and I joked that he probably went straight through the pearly gates without even being stopped and up to live with God. I wouldn't be one bit surprised... :) -Ashlee

1 comments:

Rachel Seren said...

He had such an impact on me as well. They didn't really say anything about it on the news here so I was so grateful for family in Utah.