Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer Day - A Great Excuse to BBQ and Be with Family!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm trying to re-read the Twilight series right now before the 4th book comes out, and of course, I've become totally obsessed again! Oh Edward, why aren't you my husband? (Or even real, for that matter? Ha ha!)

So for those of you who live out of state, Pioneer Day (July 24th) is a Utah holiday where we celebrate our statehood and the pioneers coming out here. Yes, that's right, we celebrate the birth of the greatest state ever! :) So to celebrate yesterday, we got together with my family, went up Emigration Canyon in Salt Lake, hiked up to the top dressed in pioneer clothes, and re-enacted the pioneers coming into Salt Lake, with my dad acting as Brigham Young to say, "This is the place." It was truly an unbelievable experience. Yes... unbelievable in the sense that it didn't happen! :) Oh, come on, just humor me and laugh a little... Seriously, could you see all the Skousen women hiking up Emigration Canyon dressed like pioneers?! I didn't think so...

Instead, we all met up at our house and spent the day here, just hanging out and letting the kids swim. They ended up swimming for 3 hours - I couldn't believe it! So it was very relaxing for us adults. Well, until Ty started drowning in the little pool - that was a little scary! That night, Kristin and Dan were able to make it down for a barbecue and once again, we had a great time. The kids hardly even fought! It was probably the most peaceful family get-together we've had in a long time. :) Later that night, we decided it was pretty lame that we didn't have fireworks, so my dad went and bought some and Dan put on a fabulous fireworks show for us! (Well, as fabulous as you can get with legal fireworks from the grocery store!) So thanks, Dan. It was quite dan-tastic! :) Except that they terrified both of my kids... Anyway, I posted a bunch of pics below from the day. We seriously had a great time, but next year I really want to try the whole pioneer reenactment. What do you think, fam? You in? :) -Ash

The Super Sensational Swenson Swim Center... :) Hey, it was free!



Both Ty and Gavin loved the slip 'n slide. Greg would throw them down it, and they thought it was the greatest thing ever.


Even the guys decided to try out the pool after a while! It was so scorching hot, I don't blame them...


Kristin posing for the camera - as usual. She is obsessed with the camera!


Further proof of Kristin' obsession with the camera - she took this herself if you didn't notice!

All the Skousen girls (oh, and Cohen in Linz's stomach! Can't forget about him - only one month to go!).


Poppy and Ty. Too cute!

Eating Linz's fabulous dessert outside. We didn't eat dinner outside because it was WAY too hot, so I insisted on going out later, and of course, the temperature was finally perfect!

Gavin and Nana - don't ask me where his shirt is!

Our fireworks finale. Now how impressive is that?! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! It looks like you had such a blast! You all look so cute! Seriously, I love you & Kristin's shirts! Where do you shop girly? I need to shop there!

Jen said...

Looks like a PARTY!!! You have a huge backyard!! Don't you just love getting together?!?

Unknown said...

What cute pictures!!! It looks like you had lots of fun!!! I didn't know you were a Twilight junkie. I enjoyed the books, but I am the 1 of out 10 who doesn't have a fantasy crush on Edward, he bugs me!!!

Rachel Seren said...

Looks like a great day! I am so excited for stephanie meyers next book and I just found out that they are making the twilight movie, coming out in december!

Kyla Stevens said...

You had me with the hike, I was thinking, the skousen family must be a lot different then I thought they were. Haha.
but that looks like a really fun day! So what happened to ty? Adrienne had a very near drowning in my friends backyard blow up pool, and it scared me to death. I'm glad he's okay.

Anonymous said...

It was too hot and too fun! The kids were great (including the biggest kid of all...Dan). Love Poppy

p.s. We'll do the reenactment up Emigration Canyon next year for sure!

Anonymous said...

Okay so I was reading this and when you started talking about the whole Emigration canyon thing, I was like... "Uhhh, what?? How come I didn't know about this???"

Sherwoods said...

ummm...can I say jealous? I want a house with a fenced backyard! Instead, I have a 6th floor apartment in Mexico...hmmm. That looks like so much fun. I am glad you guys celebrated the pioneers!

P.S. I love twilight too. My sister just got a hold of the rough draft of the first twelve chapters of Midnight Sun...Twilight from Edward's point of view. It is awesome!