Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Happenings...

I feel this weird need to apologize to all of you for not posting in the last week, but then I think to myself, why do I need to apologize? There's nobody out there saying I have to blog - in fact, Greg says the exact opposite, that I don't have to and shouldn't blog. :) So I guess I'm not really sorry because quite frankly, I just haven't had time to write lately, but I will try to be better! :)


The past few days have been extremely busy, but also extremely fun. Here's a rundown of what's been happening...

Saturday

I woke up Saturday thinking, "Today is going to be SO boring - we have nothing planned!" Well, I think our friends 20 minutes north must have magically heard my thoughts because just minutes later, they called us asking if we wanted to go boating on Pineview Reservoir for the day. So we headed up there for the afternoon and of course, I forgot my camera, but we had a really good time. Greg is still sore from riding the tube behind the boat, and I'm pretty sure Ty is still traumatized from just riding in the boat (such a sensitive little guy...), but we still had a great time! :)

Sunday

Sunday was pretty much the same as Saturday. I woke up thinking it wouldn't be a very eventful day, but boy did I end up being wrong. During 3rd hour in church, Gavin's primary teachers brought him to Greg with a huge bump on the side of his face and the starts of a black eye. Apparently, he was running to one of his teachers in class and somehow fell and hit his head (on what I assume was the heat vent). He is doing fine now, but his black eye gets worse and worse by the day. Everytime I look at it and say, "Poor kid. How does your eye feel?", he just responds by saying, "Mom, it's okay, it's going to get better!" What a kid! (And sorry about the pic - I know it's not the most attractive angle, but it shows the black eye better than anything else I could get!)

Well that night only got crazier when our power went out halfway through cooking our dinner! Fortunately, our chicken was already finished cooking, but our rice and green beans weren't. So we ended up finishing the rice on the burner on our grill, and cooking the green beans at our friends' house! It was quite the adventure! We then spent the rest of the night at the same friends' house since they had power and we didn't. We got home at 11:30, only to find that our power was still off! Fortunately, it came back on at midnight - good timing since I was getting really nervous about all our refrigerated food.

Monday


Monday was crazy, but I knew it would be, so no surprises there! We headed down to my sister Lindsay's house for a birthday party for my nephew Aiden and had a really great time! Originally, we were planning on having a swim party but our plans were spoiled with rain and temperatures in the 50's. So instead, Mike (Lindsay's husband) planned a "surprise activity" that we could all do inside. And I have to admit, when I heard the words "surprise activity," I was a little frightened. For all I knew, we were going to have some arts and crafts hour! (For those of you who don't know me well, I avoid crafts - and scrapbooking, for that matter - like the plague! They're not my thing...) Fortunately, it ended up being a Wii Bowling tournament - much more to my liking! And Greg even won! (Check out his awesome prize...) The rest of the day, we just barbecued, ate lots and lots of junk food, watched Aiden open his presents, and held the cutest baby in the whole world! :) It really was a lot of fun...

Tuesday

Today hasn't been too crazy... just a combination of happiness, sadness, excitement, and nervousness all mixed into one! Why, you might ask? Because my baby (who isn't so much of a baby anymore) started preschool today! I've known for almost a year now that Gavin would love preschool and have no problem with it whatsoever. He just loves learning and interacting with other kids - things I can't always give him here at home - so I'm so thrilled he has somewhere to go now and fulfill those needs. And while I was completely happy and excited for him to go, it was a bit harder for me than I thought it would be. It just feels so unreal that he is almost 4 and going to school! But all that crazy mommy sadness went away when I picked him up and realized that, of course, he had had a great time. The second he saw me, he said, "Mom, that was SOOO much fun!" The look on his face was pricless, and if I can just see that everytime I pick him up from preschool, I think I can get over that sappy mommy sadness!

So there you have it - the major happenings in our life recently. Things are great, but I have to admit, they will be even better when Gavin's "natural eye makeup" is gone! -Ash

8 comments:

Kyla Stevens said...

what an eventful weekend! Poor Gavins eye, he is a tough kid. I bet everyone in his preschool class thought that too, no one's going to mess with the guy who has a black eye on the first day of school. I love his little backpack

Lindsay and Mike said...

Glad Gavin had a great day! And, watch out, we may have a "surprise activity" on Thanksgiving that IS arts & crafts! Haha! Kidding!

Anonymous said...

It looks like Gavin's black eye on Tuesday was on the mend...he's too sweet to have a black eye! It always seems the Ty is the one with the self-imposed facial scratches and bruises. By the way, it amazing that Ty is traumatized by the boating, he seems so fearless on playground equipment. Love Poppy

Rachel Seren said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I can't believe he is in preschool already! He looks so handsome, and more then excited to go! Even though Jesse has been in school for a week and a half I still get nervous every morning.

Marky said...

Well you guys had an eventful week.. Sorry about Gavin's eye, my niece has one on that same eye too!! I'm glad he loves preschool.. He looked so cute on his first day!!

Tara said...

Holy black eye. What a cutie. I can't believe his is old enough for preschool.

Mallory said...

Ouch! That's quite the shiner. I can not believe Gavin is in preschool. I did read about your experience with Ty on Puff at Lagoon and as soon as I saw Landon hiding his face in Nate's chest I was reminded of Ty and figured Landon was done for the day.

Reagan Family said...

I can't believe he is going to preschool! Does he just love it. I also think black eyes rock! You have such a cute family!