Yep, that's right everyone... I am now the proud owner of a mini van. Ha ha! Can you believe it? Me neither! Here's why...
REWIND TO 1990:
My sisters and I begged my parents to buy a maroon 1989 Astro van. We thought it was the coolest thing ever, and after much begging, we got our wish. Happiness abounded until...
FAST FORWARD TO 1995:
I began Junior High. All of the sudden a giant mini van with a front end that looked like part of it had been cut off was NOT cool anymore. I seriously cringed everytime my mom had to take me to school or pick me up in it - in fact, I even begged her on numerous occassions to keep my dad's Maxima for the day so I didn't have to be seen in the van. Sad, I know...
FAST FORWARD TO 1998:
My parents sold the Astro van! Happy day! I was especially thrilled as I had NO desire to learn how to drive in that embarassing "beast" (as I thought of it - again, sad, I know, but I was a teenager!). My parents bought an Explorer instead, and from that time forward, I always swore I would NEVER subject my kids to the humiliation I felt in that van. I decided that if my husband and I needed a car that could potentially seat 7 people, we would just buy a Tahoe or Suburban, no matter the cost.
FAST FORWARD TO 1 MONTH AGO:
We had sold our Civic, which was good because we no longer had that payment, but bad because it only left us with one driveable car - our Envoy. It had been out of warranty for a year and a half at that point, and we were getting worried about potential repairs coming up. We thought it would be best if we could get something different with lower miles, still under warranty, and that could seat up to 7 people so we could keep it for a while. So we decided to go check out the SUV market since we had heard that car dealerships were supposedly "giving them away." Right... They were still way out of our price range, even used. One night, we went to check out the Hyundai Santa Fe's, thinking they would probably be in our price range, but once again, they weren't. The salesman asked us if we might be interested in looking at a 2007 mini van that was priced for considerably less. I'm sure my face was one of horror when he said that. Me, in a humiliating, embarrassing mini van? It brought back memories of junior high that I'd spent ten years trying to suppress... Greg, however, wasn't so pessimistic and wanted to take a look. I begrudingly followed... only to be absolutely SHOCKED by how nice this thing was. It suddenly made sense to me why so many moms drive these things because they are MADE for moms - 13 cup holders, a conversation mirror that comes down from the celing so you can see your kids all the time, back seats that fold into the floor, and doors that automatically open at the push of a button. I was in mini van HEAVEN.
Really...
FAST FORWARD TO SATURDAY:
After a month of research and having our brother-in-law looking at auctions (as well as some major soul-searching over whether I could get over my fear of driving a mini van or not...), we bought our very own "loser cruiser" (as we lovingly call it). Sure, you may laugh at me when you see me driving it down the street, but I'll just smile back because I love it! It is seriously the coolest thing on the face of the planet, and don't try to tell me otherwise (even Greg thinks so - he loves it more than me!) And so the mini van saga comes round circle... though I'm afraid we may go through the exact same storyline when my kids hit their teenage years! Oh well, at least we are all enjoying it now! -Ash
17 comments:
You are so funny!!! I was the same way, it about killed me to get my van, which we call The Shuttle Bug because it is more like a spaceship than a van!!!
I am right there with you. I grew up in the world of the mini van and vowed never to own one. But as we look at eventually getting a larger vehicle I cringe but know that is most likely what we will be getting. They have definitely come a long way from the mini van we grew up with, but it takes a lot to make the leap! Good for you!
Congrats on the new purchase!! I always swore to that I would never get one, but now I totally want one with my kids!!
I was laughing all the way through. They really are wonderful to drive. I took care of Troy's sister's kids when Kenadee was a baby and she left the van for us. They are made for moms. I will probably (I can't believe I just said that) drive one someday.
Seriously though, mini vans these days are nothing like they use to be! I love that you have one! Maybe if we have another kid I will get one until then...I hope you enjoy it!!
Really? A mini van? Well, if you love it then congratulations! It's always great to be happy with your new purchase - what did you buy? Not an Astro van, right?
HAHAHAHA!!! That is so how I felt, except my parent never had a minivan. But, I swore (not literally) that I would never own one of those ugly things. It was either a Suburban or Tahoe or my kids would just have to stay crammed into a car, no way would I ever own a van.
I know I pulled the same face when we looked at our van and I even told the salesman that this was not my dream vehicle. But, I do admit, that I love it. It is nice to drive, the kids have loads of room, I can put my harp and a kid in it. Okay I could go on why I like it, but I will not.
We need to see your van sometime. It is the perfect vehicle to have when you are in Young Womens :).
You crack me up! I LOVED the astro van! That thing ROCKED! You need to go back and watch the home movies of us showing it off! It was AWESOME!
Yep, you've crossed over...and I'm sure I won't be far behind. I've been driving my Jeep forever, and it will be good for one more kid, but after that, my husband has already got a van picked out! :)
I used to hate minivans too. But I have been driving around a toyota sienna lately and i love it for all the reasons you love your new van. I love the convo mirror, the seats are comfy, and there are so many other things. haha.
Seriously, JT brought sexy back and we are bringing sexy mini vans back. lol.
And another thing, but this is from Brent, he says it is not a conversation mirror, it is a spy- on-the-kids-to-yell-at-the-trouble-maker mirror.
Actually, the Astro Van was the cool vehicle in the late 80s, and as I recall everyone loved it for California vacations because you each got your own seat (and of course Kristin had to have the entire back seat just for her stuffed animals. I just hope that Gavin and Ty aren't too scarred by the emotion of having to be taken to soccer practice in a mini-van. But congratulations. Having taken a test ride in yours really shows that these mini-vans today are really family friendly. Love Poppy
I laughed so hard when I read this! I got to be the lucky one though to drive one in high school. I still swear to never drive one, but I am guessing it will change once we have kids.
It's good to know that over time we can all overcome our "van" issues...I'm still working on it!
I know that story. I feel the same way. I swore I would never drive a mini van, but Aaron and I are looking into buying one. I love the dual sliding door aspect. Congrats on the new mommy mo-bile:)
CONGRATS!!! :) I have to admit I WANT a minivan someday - mostly cuz they're cheap & fit a TON of people! I need to see it...WHEN we go to dinner...SOON! :)
P.S. that was me - Elise that sent that last comment...I hit the wrong button! :)
Post a Comment