So I haven't posted in a while because my life has been insane for the past week - good insane and bad insane. :) But before I talk about all the insanity, I thought I should write about our holiday weekend.
Now for the insanity. Let's start with the good... Gavin is really progressing with his potty training, which still has me in shock! Everybody kept telling me that when he was ready, he would let me know, but I didn't believe them. It's hard to hear that when you have a deadline and can't wait forever (like preschool starting in the fall)! But in our case, that's really what happened - we just had to wait for him to be ready. Yeah, we've thrown in a few incentives here and there, but nothing as drastic as I thought we would have to. It's really been all him. He now officially goes to the potty all by himself without any help, and he doesn't even need reminders! Here are a few fun things we've used recently that has made it that much more fun for him.
Second is the "Potty Watch." My friend Emily wrote about this on her blog and how successful it's been with her daughter, so I thought I'd give it a try. While it can be a bit annoying at times, it really is an ingenious idea and I'm so thrilled somebody came up with it! It's a watch (shaped like a potty, of course) that can be set to go off every 30, 60, or 90 minutes. Each time it goes off, it plays a song and reminds your child to go potty. The funny thing is that we actually don't use it that way at our house. Instead of setting the timer (which Gavin hates), he just pushes the song button when he needs to go and says, "It's Potty Time!" Then he runs to the potty. So it has still been really successful for us, even though we don't use it like we should! It really is a cute idea so if you are interested, you can get them at Kid 2 Kid. Now for the bad insane. Tyler came down with the stomach flu early yesterday morning, and he just can't seem to shake it. He really is a totally different person and it just makes me so sad. Everytime I see him lying around (instead of running and screaming like he normally does), I have to hold back the tears. Today has been the worst. He has slept almost all day, and anytime I have him up, he insists on being held and is just totally limp. It's made me realize just how much his business and craziness are good things, even though they usually annoy me. It's just been really upsetting and I hope he recovers soon.
Well, my apologizes for the long post. Every blog I write just solidifies the fact that I am an English major - I could write forever! -Ash
7 comments:
We totally did the potty chart with Jesse. And I love the potty watch idea!
We had a great time at your Memorial Day Eve barbecue...hope Ty is back to screaming and running soon! Love Poppy
Congrats on the potty training! I seriously have a fear of that stage, so I'm glad that you're posting all of your good ideas. So sorry about Ty, I know the feeling, Benson had that this past weekend, it only lasted a couple days, but it was so sad. I was telling Aaron how sad it is that the only times I get to cuddle with Benson (when he's sick) are times that I wish he was up running around like he normally does.
Yay Gavin! I'm glad the potty training is coming along so well!
I'm so sad about Ty though. Get feeling better buddy!
It's so funny how when your child is sucessful with potty training, you feel successful as a mom - yay!That's so exciting!
Poor Ty, I know exactly how sad it can be when you see your child not himself, it definitely breaks your heart! Hope he's feeling better soon.
Hey!! I hope Ty gets feeling better soon. Congrats to gavin for his progress! Hey - we're having cake & ice cream Sunday night at our house for my Ty's b-day - 7pm. If you're up for it, you're invited! Otherwise, let's go to dinner again soon!
Ash - count me in for Saturday for the girls lunch. I'll have to double-check with Shayne to make sure we don't have other plans, but I'd love to come! Since you drove last time, I can drive this time if you want - let me know!
Post a Comment