So, about a month ago, I started seeing commercials on TLC for a new show called The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom. I was curious to see what it was all about, so I watched it a week ago and honestly, I was anything but impressed. Basically, they give stay-at-home moms the opportunity to do the job they turned down years ago to be a soccer mom. The episode I watched involved a girl who had two young boys (preschool age) and the show let her work as a cook in a high-class restaurant for a week. In the end, the owner of the restaurant offered her a full-time job starting at 8:00 the next Monday morning. She was given some time to talk it over with her husband, and then had to give the restaurant owner her answer. She ultimately decided to still stay-at-home with her kids, but was pretty torn apart by the decision.
I guess what frustrated me so much about this show is that it basically acts like there is no value in being a stay-at-home mom, and to me, it seems like the whole world acts the same way. I honestly have nothing against moms who decide they want to work, I know many that do and I hold nothing against them. But I just find it so sad that the world has a hard time respecting women who have made a personal decision to stay at home. Instead, they come up with this show in an attempt to "rescue" moms from this "prison". As I was watching the show, I kept thinking that in the end, they would give the girl a position that would allow her to have the best of both worlds - work part-time, and be home part-time - but instead, they offered her all or nothing. It was just hard for me to see them put so much emphasis and value on the job, and nothing on being a mother. Anyway, I just really wasn't very impressed with the show and was wondering if any of you who have seen it felt the same way? Just a thought. -Ash
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
My Rantings About The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom... Bear with Me!
Posted by
The Swensons
at
1:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I haven't seen the show, but I totally agree with you. I can not tell you how many people have told me that I am committing "career suicide" to stay home with my kids during the week & only working a few hours on the weekend. But, I actually see it as having the best of both worlds. Also, I'm so sick of people at work thinking that my life is so easy because I stay home during the week. They always say, "Man how would it be to have a 5 day weekend?" Would they say the same thing to a woman who was a nanny, chef, maid, driver, etc. for 7 days a week, plus got up at 3:00 am 2 days a week to go to work??? Because that's basically my life. Anyway, there's my ranting...but I know that I'm doing what works best for me and my family & that's all that matters!
The mom who puts herself first will die alone, while unselfish stay-at-home moms will be surrounded by grieving sons and daughters...that's the difference. Give a hug to Gavin and Ty for me. Love Poppy
I saw the last few minutes of the show, but you filled in the rest. I do agree that it is sad to see the world put som much emphasis on a woman working rather then being a mom. I work part-time and it is hard. The teacher I work with, and you would think this would persuade me not to go into teaching, but her kids, which go to the same school, will come in and complain that there mom is not there for them at field trips, class parties, etc... The school I work in, you can tell the difference in the kids that have moms at home as compared to those that go home to an empty house. Quite often they have told me (regarding not doing their homework) why should they, there parents don't care and they do not have anyone to help them. It is sad that the show cannot show a compromise. I see what they are trying to do, because I think at times you may think to yorself, what if. But if only that woman could see the greater value and investment is in her children. What they are doing now you can never get back later. I, too, know what I am doing is working for us, but when it comes time to offically go into teaching, I hope I can find a team-teaching position, that would almost the best of both worlds. (sorry for the long post, good subject though)
I haven't watched it, but those are interesting thoughts. I am so grateful I get to stay home. I think you would like the book "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. It is fabulous and talks about this very subject. It is one of my favorite books!
This is something that I have been dealing with personally lately. Until Josh gets onto the team I have gone to work to help out temporarily. The break can be nice, but ultimitely I am miserable, I am missing out on key moments in my childrens lives. I love how being a nanny is a job that requires a lot of work, but a stay at home mom is looked at as easy. trying to juggle both is hard, thank goodness it's temporary, because in the end my kids would suffer from me not being there. Today's world is just too rough not to have an active mom in our childrens lives.
I never watched the show but I saw the commercials and felt the same way. I felt like they were saying "Here's a mom that made the mistake of staying home to be a mom and we are giving her a second chance to get her life back." I was turned off just by the previews. I am so glad I have a job I can do two nights a week and still be home every day as a full-time mom. It truely is such a blessing.
Post a Comment