Monday, January 28, 2008

Growing Up...

In response to everybody wondering why I took off my last two posts, I did it because it was just too depressing to me and I want our blog to be happy! So that's why I took them off. Now, on to the happy stuff... :) It seems like our boys have been growing up so fast lately. They are just doing so many new things that I thought I'd better write about them before they become such a common occurrence that I don't even pay attention!


First, Tyler started walking! (And unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it because I just always forget! Plus, he gets going and then falls down so fast that I don't know if my camera would take the picture on time. So if I am able to get one, I will post it later!) He took his first steps a couple weeks ago and has only been improving since. My parents came up on Saturday to watch the boys while we went to the temple and by the time we got home, they had him taking 6-7 steps at a time! It is so much fun to watch. He just gets the biggest grin on his face and you can tell he thinks he's pretty cool stuff. :) However, he does seem to get tired after doing it a few times and then he just starts whining. He has also been so temperamental lately! He can be on top of the world one moment and then screaming and throwing a fit the next! It makes me wonder if I have a bipolar baby? I hope not! :)

As for Gavin, he is the one that really seems to just be growing up by the second. He loves Ty and is always so concerned about him. If he even hears the slightest peep from Ty's room while he is sleeping, he is always running in there to make sure he is okay (which always wakes him up... every mother's dream...). He is always saying stuff like, "Hi little brother! Why are you the cutest thing in the world?" :) Ha ha, I wonder where he gets that from! He has also taken on the task of feeding Ty lately, as you can see in the picture, and he's done a pretty good job! No messier than when I feed him. :)

Gavin has also picked up on his ABC's lately. I know, I know, he's probably a lot later than everybody else's kids (since he's behind on everything), but it's exciting for us! :) This is how he sings it: "A, B, C, D, E, F, G, [a big pause and a look of confusion, then he continues with...] Q, R, S, T, U, B, W, Y, Z, Now I know my ABC's, next time I won't sing with you." :) I have no idea where he picked up that last part from, but I think it's so funny that I can't correct him! I just laugh and tell him good job. He also knows his colors really well now and can count. It is just so much fun to see him growing up and learning! I know he will absolutely love preschool when he starts next year.

His most recent obsessions, besides Ty, is nickjr.com. His cousin Connor showed it to him one day when we were at my parents, and now he is hooked! He is constantly asking if we can play "puter games." :)

The only downer with Gavin is still potty-training. I finally stuck him in normal underwear today, only to find that that doesn't seem to motivate him either! After he had been in his 3rd pair for about an hour, I took him upstairs and had him sit on the potty for a little bit to see if he could go. He started freaking out, saying he didn't have to go and jumped off the toilet, bare butt and all. :) He then went downstairs to the kitchen, got up on the barstool, and peed all over it. I was so livid! So once again, I am asking for your help! :) If any of you have potty trained boys (since I hear they are considerably harder than girls), do you have any advice for me? I am so out of ideas, it's not even funny.

Well, we hope you are all doing well! Sorry there aren't more pictures in this post - I need to be better about taking them. Until next time! -Ash

2 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

When I was potty training Connor, everyone said, "He'll get it when he's ready. You just have to be patient." I HATED hearing that! I wanted him to be ready right that very second. But, it really is true. THEY have to decide they are ready, and until they do, it's just a fight. Give it a little more time...he just barely turned 3.

Rachel Seren said...

I am actually in the process of potty training Cole! The biggest thing is to not retreat back to diapers even though it's easier. I also tried pull ups with Jesse but they treat them like a diaper and they are more expensive. Besides even there is more mess to clean up I found Jesse did better with going right to underwear. We take them every 20 min. Even if they don't always go it is helping them learn the habit. It also takes awhile for them to learn how to make themselves go on command. We also put the little potty in the back of the car for when you are out and they have to go, and in the beginning you have to find a toilet fast this was the easiest way. Sorry for the length of it, I am just suffering through it as well. I just remind myself that really potty training at first is really training yourself to take them regularily.