First of all, let me apologize about not writing in a while! Life has just been quite hectic lately and I seem to never have a moment to myself. Of course, maybe it's not such a bad thing because then you don't have to read so much of my rambling! ;)
So are you confused by my title yet? Sorry if you are! But if you've ever seen So I Married an Axe Murderer, you know that the "Heid Speech" is one of the classic scenes from it! (If you haven't seen it, here's a link. It doens't include the actual "orange on a toothpick" line, but it's still hilarious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varaAADgC84) I always laugh hysterically during that part... or I used to. It just hit me last Thursday when we were at the pediatrician's that my kids' heads are like oranges on toothpicks! They are going to have their own weather systems! ;) Poor things... Ever since Gavin was born, his head measurements have always been in the 95th percentile! (Just look at that picture and you will see why I compare him to an orange on a toothpick!) We have always just laughed about it because we figured he would eventually grow out of it, and being that it was so abnormally huge, none of our other kids would have big heads. Well, unfortunately, Ty's four-month check-up disproved that theory...
When Ty was two months, his head measured at the 50th percentile and I can't even tell you how thrilled I was! Finally, (I thought) we would have a kid with a normal-sized head! But oh how wrong I was. At this last check-up, the nurse measured his head and got quite the puzzled look on her face, but just went on measuring him like nothing was wrong. After finishing her measurements, she looked over them and asked if she could measure his head one more time. When she got the same measurement as before, she turned to me and said, "Wow, your baby's got a really big head!" ;) He is in the 95th percentile just like Gavin! So when his weight came back in the 20th percentile, I realized that poor little Ty is really like an orange on a toothpick. Poor kid! Hopefully he will forgive his parents one day. (The little girl in that picture is my neighbor's 4-year-old daughter. I decided to use that picture because it shows just how big his head is compared to hers!!!)
While I think this is quite sad and hope it doesn't scar our children for life, there is a positive side to it! I heard on the news just a few months ago that people with bigger heads tend to be more intelligent! :) So I can only hope our children grow up to be Nobel or Pulitzer Prize winners! Then they could support their parents... wouldn't that be nice? Until next time! -Ash
Monday, April 16, 2007
It's Like an Orange on a Toothpick!
Posted by
The Swensons
at
2:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They are NOT oranges on toothpicks! They are my cute nephews and they are just perfect!
I love Gavin's and Ty's heads...It makes it obvious they are so smart! Love Dad
I don't need a head measurements to tell me that Gav and Ty are smart! Love Dad
Post a Comment