Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm Ba-a-ck...

Yes, believe it or not, I am alive and even blogging! :) Life has just been a blur for the past little while - mostly with Greg's job change and my calling. I feel like I have hardly had a moment to breathe, let alone blog. But according to my Dad, I am getting really behind, so I thought I'd better get on it and start writing before I stop altogether out of frustration! :) And because I am incredibly far behind (and the thought of catching up all in one blog overwhelms me), I am just going to write about Memorial Day today, and leave the rest for another day... (If "another day" ever comes with me!!!) :)


Fortunately, Greg had yesterday off work so we headed down to my parent's house for an awesome Memorial Day. Seriously, I think it was the best one we've had! We started out the day by hiking to Stewart Falls up by Sundance and it was a blast! I haven't hiked that since high school, so it was a lot of fun to do it again. I have to admit though that I was really worried about the kids and how well they would do, but they actually surprised me and did great! My friend lent me her hiking backpack and Tyler sat in it the entire way up and half of the way back, while Gavin actually walked the entire way up by himself (1.5 miles!) and spent most of the time going back on somebody's shoulders or in the hiking backpack. It was just so fun to be outdoors spending time with my family.


After that, we headed up to Heber to take the kids to Dairy Keen (a darling restaurant that has a train constantly running all over the restaurant up by the ceiling - if you have kids and have never taken them there, you need to!). Needless to say, all the kids loved it and the food was fabulous too.


While we were there, I got realizing that Thomas the Train was hooked onto the Heber Creeper for the weekend, and thought the kids might like to see him too. So we headed over to the train depot, and got to the railroad crossing just in time to see him cross. The boys were so excited to see the "real life Thomas"! :)


After that, we headed into Midway to take the kids to see the volcano at The Homestead, and the hot springs inside it. Of course, the kids were extremely excited about it, but what was even funnier was the way Greg fell in love with Midway. I kid you not - if we had a lot more money than we do and could pick up and move today, Greg would have put a sign in our yard this morning, and an offer in on a house there by this afternoon! Ha ha, it cracked me up...


Then, we ended the day by heading back to my parents, crashing for a while, then having an awesome BBQ (oh, and who can forget the kids watching for "cars on the mountain" - i.e. the cars up at Squaw Peak - they love that!). I have to admit that I was pretty bummed when it was time to come home because the day was so much fun, but I guess it just means we will have to do it all over again next year! :) Hope you all had a good Memorial Day too! -Ash

5 comments:

Poppy said...

I must admit it was one of the best Memorial Days in a long time...thanks for the blog, Sosha. Now we need a short blog on how Gavin is getting his great tan (i.e. playing with the new "toy" in the back yard). Love Poppy

Lindsay and Mike said...

It was SUCH a fun day!

Kristin and Dan said...

I'm so sad I missed it! It looks like you guys had a blast. I love the picture of everyone (minus us :( ) up at Sundance!

Emily said...

What a fun day! I love that you went hiking and did so many things!!

Kyla Stevens said...

wow! what a busy day. i'm very impressed that gavin could walk the whole way to stewart falls. It makes me want to go.

Tell Greg that I really like midway too. It is in the middle of everything, but still small.