Saturday, June 23, 2007

Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage...

I have so many memories of staying up late in the summer when I was young and hearing my parents watch Married with Children. Such an interesting theme song since there didn't seem to be much real love in their marriage... :) But anyway, funny enough, whenever I think about a wedding and getting married, it's that song that comes to my mind! And it has really been in my mind a lot lately as we had 2 weddings in the past 2 days! I absolutely love weddings (they always make me cry, of course) and I am close to both of these brides, so I thought it was something fun to write about and share with ya'll!


On Thursday, my good friend Lara Bagby married a guy named Eric Izant. I think he looks like Clay Aiken (just a very straight version!) but nobody else seems to, so maybe I'm a bit off my rocker! Greg and I went to their wedding dinner that evening and it was absolutely beautiful. (We were also invited to the ceremony, but there was a miscommunication and we didn't go, so all I have to write about is the dinner.) They seemed so happy, which you should be on your wedding day! Lara's wedding dress was so beautiful and it had a way cute green sash around the waste which I loved! What a cute idea! (**Hint, hint, Kristin... just kidding!) Anyway, congrats you guys and we wish you all the best!


On Friday, my cousin Elise married a guy named Ty Lichtenberg. For those of you who don't know Elise, let me give a little bit of background (don't worry, Elise, it's good stuff!). She is 30, going on 31 and is one of the absolute sweetest, most down-to-earth people that you will ever meet. With her, what you see is really what you get - she isn't deceptive at all. Since we could always see these attributes in her and what a great person she is, we were so confused about why she was dating so many guys and nobody seemed to be marriage material for her! And in the end, I am sad to say we superficially decided she was just too picky. But as we all know, hindsight is 20/20 and we can all see now that just none of those guys were right for her. And the guy she married, Ty, is absolutely perfect for her! So I am sure I can say on behalf of our entire family, SORRY, Elise!!! You were just holding out for the best and you got it, and we couldn't be happier for you. Anyway, back to the actual wedding! They had a yummy wedding breakfast at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and were then sealed in the Salt Lake Temple (the entire morning was quite reminiscent of our wedding, just backwards!). But I have to say, their sealing was the absolute neatest sealing I have ever been to. My Aunt Kathy (Elise's mom) knows Elder Holland from when she worked with him at BYU years ago, so he was able to seal them and it was neat to see him in person! But honestly, what he said at the sealing was the neatest part for me. He just explained marriage in such an exceptional way and it really made me rethink the way I treat our marriage. It was just a really neat talk. And of course, I cried as I do at literally EVERY wedding I go to! :) (I was actually sobbing at the end of Kyla's wedding but at least I can blame that on pregnancy... I haven't had that excuse any other time!) It was just a great wedding and I am so thrilled for them, so congrats you guys! And don't wait too long to give our kids second cousins! :)


Anyway, it was just a really fun past 2 days to be able to celebrate weddings, and it was a highlight for my summer. The only thing I'm sad about is that they are both in the Caribbean right now and I'm not! I think there should be a rule that all newlyweds should be poor and only be allowed to have lame honeymoons in Salt Lake like we did! :) Seems fair to me! Ha ha. Until next time! -Ash

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom and I were so poor that our honeymoon was a weekend poolside at a Travelodge in St. George! I think kids today have too many honeymoon choices. Nice post, Sosh. Love Poppy

Lindsay and Mike said...

Hey, don't bash the SLC honeymoons! I think they ROCK! Who wants to go somewhere exotic when you're only going to see the inside of a hotel room?

Anonymous said...

well, in remarks to poppy's and stuage's comments, i think mine will be the best someday... since dad already told me that him and mudd will be right next door at the hotel and that it will be US hearing THEM!!! beat that!