Thursday, February 4, 2010

The First of Many Changes to Come...

Even though the baby isn't due for 4 more months, we thought it was time to start making some of the changes for her arrival so I could adapt to it all SLOWLY over time. :) (For those of you who don't know me well, I do NOT do well with change!) So the first thing we decided to do was get the boys moved into one room - probably the most daunting task out of everything we have to do before June! I was really struggling with the idea and having major parent guilt about them sharing a room, probably because I always had my own room growing up. Plus, I was also really bummed about selling Gavin's bed because I absolutely loved it, but knew we needed the money from it for the bunk beds. So basically, I was preparing myself for a really rough time... :)


Well, back at the beginning of January, we started looking around to see if it was more economical for us to buy bunk beds, or for Greg to make them. In the end, I only found one set I liked and it was triple what we wanted to spend, plus it was a full on bottom and I wanted a twin because of space. So that answered it - Greg was going to make them! I was nervous, but excited that they would look exactly how I wanted them to. He worked on them on his days off and nights for a couple of weeks, then did the paint job over a few days. In the meantime, Gavin's bed sold quickly to a girl I knew from high school - a relief since I loved that bed, and am glad it's going to be well taken care of again - but it also put Gavin without a bed for about a week. He was absolutely devastated when we took down his bed. It seriously broke my heart and I felt so bad, but we had no other choice! I think it helped me though that I had to be strong for him, cuz I didn't shed one tear. :) Fortunately, once he saw that the bunk beds were almost done, he cheered right up and was okay sleeping on the floor for a few nights.

Finally, Greg finished up the beds last night and we were able to put them into place! So here are some before and after pictures:

BEFORE:

(While I loved this bed, it hit me once it was gone just how much space it took up! Seriously, Gavin could hardly even play in there because there was no room...)

AFTER:


Wow, there's actually a floor! (If you can see that line in the carpet, that is where Gavin's old bed came to which shows just how cramped it was with his old bed.) I absolutely LOVE how everything turned out - the beds came out even better than I thought they would! And the boys absolutely love them too. I was afraid that they would both be scared to sleep on the top bunk, but so far, all they've done is fight over who gets to sleep up there! So I would dare say the whole thing has been a success - guess I shouldn't have been worried at all! :) -Ash

10 comments:

Poppy said...

Greg did a super job and I'm glad the boys love the top bunk...all rough and tough boys want the top bunk! Congrats on the new room.

Kristin and Dan said...

They look awesome! GREAT job, Greg!!

Shel said...

Wow! I will have to hire Greg when my boys are ready for a bunk bed, that turned out great!

Emily said...

I love how they turned out - SO nice! What a great talent Greg has!

Cherice and Corey said...

The beds are amazing! I wish Corey could whip out some furniture for me like that. And definitely don't feel guilty for having them share a room. Some of my favorite memories from when I was little came from sharing a room!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Wow, those bunk beds look so good...your husband could totally go into carpentry and have a little side business or whatever! I would buy those!

Lindsay and Mike said...

So cute! And, by the way, you did share a room...for 3 months with me between when Kristin was born & when we moved. And, then after that, you still slept in my bed for several years...so don't have parent guilt. My boys love sharing a room. I'm scared that, even after we move, they are still going to want to share a room. We'll see.

Kyla Stevens said...

Wow! Greg's craftmanship is incredible!
I'm glad the boys like their new sleeping arrangements. But I know how that must have felt when Gavin was sad about taking his bed down. Ashton was so sad when we took her bed down when we moved. I think she's doing good now.


Can't wait to meet baby #3!

Mallory said...

Love Them!! Greg did a great job!

emily+brett said...

Yay for posting! And yay for a GIRL!! Congratulations! The first in your fam! The beds turned out great!! Your boys are just adorable and I'm sure having a girl will bring out a softer side of them:)