Friday, August 14, 2009

Disneyland!

No drawn out apologies or excuses this time - I know I suck at blogging. :)

For the first time in a couple years now, finances actually allowed us to go on a vacation! Yay! We had originally planned to go to Disneyland in June with my parents and Lindsay's family, but with Greg switching jobs, he didn't have enough PTO saved up to go then. So we planned our own little trip for the beginning of this month, and my parents were even kind enough to come and go to Disneyland a second time! :) We had a great time, and the kids still tell me on a daily basis how much they miss Disneyland. In fact, Gavin tells me he can't wait to go back when he's "five or eight or six." :)

Here are some highlights from our trip:

The 10-Hour Drive

I stressed about this for at least the entire two weeks before the trip. To make matters worse, I stressed about it so bad the night before we left that I didn't sleep AT ALL. Fortunately, the kids did so much better than I ever expected! I took a whole backpack full of things for them to do, and I wrapped twelve little cheap presents - 3 for each kid for the car ride there, and 3 for each on the ride back. I still can't believe what a life-saver they ended up being. The anticipation of getting a "new toy" every few hours really helped them stay calm and patient through the whole thing.

Disneyland!

Yes, I know I'm 26, but I still absolutely adore Disneyland. I feel like such a little kid when I'm there - the atmosphere just totally takes away all my worries. The kids really loved it too. Anytime we would leave Disneyland (either for naps or just because we were done for the day), they would both be asking when we would be going back. In fact, on the ride home when we were around St. George, Ty started asking if we were going to Disneyland that night! He was pretty disappointed when we told him no. :(

The only real problem we had with Disneyland was the amount of rides that scared Gavin! It really surprised me since he is such a little daredevil at Lagoon. He cried on Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain Railroad, Star Tours, and Grizzly River Rapids, and got extremely scared on Snow White, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, and Monsters Inc. In fact, I'm sure I even missed a few in there! :) (Even the characters scared him!) He did really like Pirates of the Caribbean and the Matterhorn though - go figure! Ty, on the other hand, loved everything. He never complained about getting scared on a ride, except Peter Pan when we got stopped in the middle of the ride and it took about fifteen minutes to get us off. His favorites were Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters and the Tea Cups. Here are some more highlights from the park:















(The electric light parade at California Adventure - LOVE IT!)

(One of the snails came over and bowed to the boys - they loved it!)








Swimming at the Hotel Pool

Gavin took swimming lessons a couple weeks before we left and loved them, so he was really excited to have the chance to get back in the water again! Ty, on the other hand, was really hesitant at first and didn't want to get in past his waist. However, after a little coaxing, he loved it and started jumping in just like Gavin! Seriously, I have two fish on my hands...





The Beach

We decided to take a break from Disneyland one day and head down to the beach in Carlsbad. We had such a great time! Seriously, the weather was PERFECT (low to mid-80's) and the water felt great. Gavin loved swimming in the water with Greg, and though Ty didn't love the water quite as much, he loved searching for seashells and running away when the tide came up.




The L.A. Temple

The last night of our vacation, we were seriously Disneyland-ed out. So we decided to head up to L.A. and check out the temple and some other sights up there. However, after sitting in traffic for 1 hour and 45 minutes, we only had time to see the temple and Rodeo Drive. It was still a fun night though, and the kids really enjoyed walking around the temple grounds.


Well, there you have it - our trip in a nutshell. We seriously had such a good time, and really appreciate my mom and dad tagging along. They were a lot of fun and a great help with the kids! Hopefully we will be able to do it all over again in the not too distant future. -Ash

9 comments:

The Redford Family said...

I love that your parents went with you. You have the best parents ever. They are so involved with all three of you. Disneyland looked like so much fun! My kids miss it too. maybe someday we will go back. It is alot of work and money to get down there. But it is sooo much fun! Easton was scared of the Nemo ride. Fun memories. Cute family! Cute boys! You are sooo cute too!

Mallory said...

It looks like you guys had a blast! and, I'm glad the car ride went ok for you guys

Kristin and Dan said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I can't believe Gavie was scared on all of those rides! Hopefully he will give them another chance the next time he goes back! Your new swimsuit looked really cute too. I loved all the pictures and it looks like you guys had a great time at Disneyland, the pool, and the beach! I'm sure it was a lot of fun having mom and dad there with you! Cute pictures, Sosha!

Poppy said...

I have to admit that even after 10 days of Disneyland...I miss the kids excitement of discovering new rides and characters. Thanks for inviting us along...we enjoyed the whole trip. The boys were a blast, especially in the pool and beach. Love Poppy

Emily said...

How fun!! I'm so glad you had such a good time and it's so precious all of the memories that you are able to take away from it!

Rachel Seren said...

Looks like so much fun! Did you feel like there was a lot for the little kids to do. Josh doesn't want to go until the kids are older because they might be too short for the rides. But it sounded like they were able to ride quite a bit?

The Hagen's said...

Aw, I love Disneyland! I am jealous... Looks like you guys had a blast and I dont blame you for being nervous about the car ride. I am always nervous for long car rides!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Looks like you guys had a good time! Hopefully, next time, it works out so that we can all go at the same time!

Melany said...

how fun! isn't southern ca the best? i miss it...sigh. i seriously get all nostalgic and happy when i go to disneyland too because i grew up practically down the street from it. your pics make me wish i was going there tomorrow!

and GOOD IDEA on the opening presents every few hours idea. i'll definitely log that away for the future. :)