Thursday, September 13, 2007

Missing Logan!

It's funny how the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side" can be so true! I moved to Logan in the fall of 2001 for school, met Greg and married him in December of 2002, and we lived there until July 2006. Most of the time, I will admit that I complained about living there saying that it was way too small town for me. I was always complaining about the limited shopping (but only because they didn't have a Target or Gap, which are both crucial for me!) and about all the quiet and empty space that surrounded our neighborhood. We literally had a cow pasture right behind our backyard! So of course, I was always waiting for that day when we would move back down to the Wasatch Front and I could feel like I lived in civilization again! So when Greg got transferred to the Riverdale store and we sold our house last summer, I was so excited and thought life couldn't get much better. Well, this is where the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" comes in. After being down here for about a month, both Greg and I really started to miss Logan and it finally hit me that I should have enjoyed living up there instead of always complaining about it! Instead of hating the small town feel, the open space, and the quiet, I totally miss it now! (Of course, maybe that is because we live near a busy street, the Ogden Airport, and train tracks now!) Moving down here also made us realize how down-to-earth people are up there - there is very little competition compared to down here. And even after 14 months of living down here (including finally getting to know our neighbors, having more shopping - including Target and Gap -, and making friends), we are still missing it and looking for any opportunity possible to go back to visit! So we were lucky to be up there twice in the past 5 days!


The first time, we went up to have dinner with my family the night before my Dad competed in the Lotoja bike race (he rode from Logan to Jackson Hole!). My parents actually picked me up early that afternoon so I spent the day with them, and Greg met up with us later. Just driving around Logan was honestly hard for me! I really miss it up there! There are just so many memories of going to school and having Gavin that it made me wish we had never moved. We went to Iron Gate Grill that night, one of our all-time favorite restaurants in Logan, and even saw people from our old ward. It was great to get to do all of that again, but it all made it that much harder too!

Then yesterday, my best friend Kyla called me. She moved up to Logan the same time I did, got married in 2004, and has lived up there ever since. When we were on the phone, we got talking about how we haven't gone out to dinner together in a long time and she said, "Well, what are you guys doing tonight?" Of course, Greg had homework as usual but we decided it would be fun to go hang out for a while! So, we went up to Logan AGAIN for the second time in a week! It was so much fun! We went to Cafe Sabor, another yummy local restaurant in Logan, and even stopped by to see Kristin at her apartment. And once again, it made us miss Logan!

Now I know what my entire family is thinking right now - what is wrong with this girl?! They heard me complain more than anybody about Logan. I guess it just takes moving somewhere like Roy where pipe bombs are left on street corners and SWAT teams have to surround a house with a homicidal man inside to make you realize just how great we had it in Logan! :) Maybe one day we will make it back. In fact, Gavin is starting to sound like us! Everyday for the past week, he has been asking if we can go back to Logan, no joke! Until next time! -Ash

2 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Boo! Hiss! How about giving Eagle Mountain a chance?

Anonymous said...

I think Gavin likes the swimming pools in Logan...the little guy is a fish! True, that home only becomes home when you move away. Your mom always likes to go visit her home in Provo and says it was so great then. Nice (bittersweet) post. Love Poppy